Cybersecurity Engineer - Firewall
Cybersecurity Engineer - Firewall
Requisition Number S1700P
The Auburn University Office of the Chief Information Security Officer is seeking applicants for a Cybersecurity Engineer.
Reporting to the Office of the Chief Information Officer, this position is responsible for the planning, engineering, developing, implementing, and compliance monitoring of organization-wide information security through the use of security tools. Additionally, the Cybersecurity Engineer performs analysis to ensure security controls are consistently implemented, integrating new technology with IT security standards; developing and executing plans for monitoring, assessing, and verifying security controls across all major information systems; and developing, evaluating, and exercising IT survivability and contingency plans to protect the University’s information assets. This role will be responsible for the maintenance and management of campus firewalls and VPN, tuning IPS/IDS security appliances, and network/security-related troubleshooting. Other cybersecurity duties may be assigned as needed.
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
Essential Functions include:
- Install, configures, maintains, and troubleshoots network firewalls and IDS/IPS appliances.
- Applies advanced troubleshooting and problem solving to complex network problems.
- Responsible for the design, planning, implementation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of campus security appliance infrastructure and architecture.
- Supports and participates in SOC engineering efforts such as tool and data integration, reporting, development of automation, and evaluation of new technologies.
- Assists with communication, reporting, and alerting on general information security issues as well as on specific assignments within Information Security tool sets.
- Security tool tuning and maintenance.
- Works with vendors to resolve security problems and develops infrastructure solutions.
- Implements new technology deployments and integration testing.
- Assists in incident response efforts.
- May perform other related duties as assigned by the CISO or Cybersecurity Manager.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- 5 Years of Experience
- Experience configuring, tuning and evaluating efficacy of key security tools, including but not limited to firewalls, VPN, and IDS/IPS applications. Work experience in cyber security is preferred.
- High School Diploma + 13 years of experience, or
- Associate’s Degree + 9 years of experience, or
- Bachelor’s degree + 5 year of experience
- Alternate Minimum Education and Experience (If available)
- When a candidate has the required experience, but lacks the required education, they may normally apply additional relevant experience toward the education requirement, at a rate of two (2) years relevant experience per year of required education.
- Experience configuring and managing enterprise firewalls and VPN appliances.
- Knowledge of basic networking concepts and protocols.
- Knowledge of generally accepted information/cyber security principles and practices with the ability to apply that knowledge to perform complex and non-routine specialized information technology (IT) security analysis functions such as troubleshooting, advanced analysis, research, and problem-solving.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Understanding of common types of attacks & vulnerabilities including CVEs, OWASP Top 10
- Must have team leadership skills, negotiation skills, and advanced client relation skills.
- Ability to remain up to date with privacy and security regulations.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
Industry recognized cybersecurity certification required within six (6) months of hire date. Recognized certifications include the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), CompTIA Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) and others as deemed appropriate by the CISO of Auburn University.
- Degree in Computer Science or IT related field preferred.
- CISSP, CISM, CISA and/or recognized IT industry certification.
- Proven track record of installing, configuring, and managing Palo Alto firewalls, VPN, and Panorama.
- IPS/IDS configuration, tuning, and management.
- Applicable security experience in a university environment.
Salary Range: $74,200 - $118,700
Link for Postings: https://www.auemployment.com/postings/29798
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.