MechanicCity of Derby
100% Responsible for maintenance and repair of all city vehicles and equipment.
- Conduct mechanical repairs and service work on all types of engines, city machinery, and equipment.
- Identify defects and troubleshoot problems with city equipment, and order and install parts as needed.
- Repair brakes, water pumps, radiators, carburetors, joints, front ends, and all other similar mechanic repairs.
- Replace clutches, bearings, pressure plates, flywheels, and starters.
- Mount and balance tires.
- Work on fire apparatus and emergency equipment.
- Organize and maintain all motor pool equipment in a safe and working order.
- Provide assistance with the inventory of parts and records.
- Prepare all records of maintenance and service work performed.
- Stock parts and supplies in a neat and orderly manner and notify supervisor when parts and supplies need to be ordered.
- Operate motor vehicle and other equipment on a regular basis.
- Work on 12V and 24V vehicle electrical systems.
- Use DVOM multi-meters to identify, diagnose, and repair electrical failures.
- Repair A/C and heating systems.
- Operate tire balancer.
(Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.)
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in reduced operating costs and liability and improved customer satisfaction, and utilization of material, and/or equipment.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Moderate problem solving is required. Decisions are reviewed by supervisor. All purchase requests are referred to supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization. Occasional interaction with vendors.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Technical training and certifications, preferred.
- Three years automotive mechanic or related experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of basic automotive, truck, and heavy equipment operations and functions.
- Ability to operate all department equipment.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with employees and the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of diagnostic equipment, software, and procedures.
- Valid Kansas commercial driver’s license with air-brake endorsement required within 90 days of employment and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements..
- ASE certification, preferred.
Work Environment: Some exposure to adverse weather conditions, high noise levels, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Regular (50%) carrying, lifting, moving of 50 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, manual dexterity, and hand/eye coordination throughout the day. Must be available for on-call.