Police OfficerCity of Derby
$18.80 per hour + benefits.
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis. Negotiation, persuasion, tact, and diplomacy are essential for effectively performing tasks. Officers are expected to take a proactive approach to crime prevention and recognize that citizens are partners in that effort.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in reduced liability and improved safety, community satisfaction, and utilization of materials and/or equipment.
Latitude: Most duties are assigned and then the employee arranges tasks in order to complete duties. Problem-solving and decision-making involving the protection of life and property is accomplished independently most of the time.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization, prosecutors, and the general public. Occasional interaction with outside agencies including municipal, county, state, and federal agencies.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Some college, preferred.
- Must have satisfied all requirements as set forth in K.S.A. 74-5605 “Qualifications of Applicant (Police Officer) for Training Course Requirements.”
- Must complete 40 hours of continuing education training annually as required.
- One year of law enforcement experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of law enforcement techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of all federal, state, and local ordinances governing police activities.
- Ability to apply intermediate level mathematics skills.
- Ability to operate firearms, patrol vehicles, mobile/portable/base radios, crime scene processing equipment, and all other police related equipment.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to access, input, process, and retrieve information from the computer.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to provide reliable courtroom testimony. Criminal convictions for acts of dishonesty, or sustained disciplinary findings of misconduct related to truthfulness, racial bias, or other acts that would lead to potential impeachment of courtroom testimony as detailed in Brady v. Maryland or Giglio v. U.S. will be cause for disqualification for applicants and termination for employees.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and a good driving record, required.
Physical: Must have the ability to pass and maintain all physical requirements and activities of the law enforcement training center. Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting, and lifting of 50 lbs required. Must maintain ability to apprehend and take persons into custody.
Work Environment: Exposure to adverse weather conditions, dangerous, and hazardous situations is required. Must be able to work all shifts and any day of the week.