Public Works Administrative AssistantCity of Derby
10% Responsible for receptionist duties.
- Answer incoming calls for the department and transfer to appropriate destination.
- Answer public inquiries regarding department functions.
- Relay messages to the appropriate person or department.
- Greet visitors and provide assistance as needed.
20% Responsible for clerical and administrative support. Assist Board Secretary in preparing agendas, packets, and minutes and maintain correspondence.
- Type correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, and other needed documents.
- Sort and disseminate mail to the appropriate employees.
- File and maintain departmental files and correspondence in an orderly manner.
- Communicate messages or issues to department employees.
- Maintain equipment and training manuals.
- Schedule and set up conference and training rooms.
- Process and scan documents as required.
- Guide the general public through the requirements of the respective department processes and programs.
30% Responsible for records and reports.
- Prepare various department reports, including department accounts, payroll records, overtime records, and copier usage.
- Track employee training and report hours on individual employee records.
- Track and log department data such as job tracking, fleet maintenance, requests for service, and other data as needed.
30% Responsible for accounting functions for the department.
- Organize and prepare department purchase requests and forward to accounting.
- Track expenses and conduct cost analysis on purchases.
- Collect timesheet information on all department employees and forward to payroll.
- Maintain employee time off balances.
- Provide information for the annual department budget preparation.
- Balance travel vouchers with actual travel expenses and submit to City Hall.
- Collect payments for services and/or fees.
- Calculate charges and prepare and send out billing statements.
5% Responsible for the department purchasing and inventory.
- Develop and maintain inventory reports.
- Enter purchases into inventory program.
- Order supplies and/or equipment from vendors from approved purchase requests.
- Pick up and deliver ordered supplies and equipment when necessary.
5% Responsible for special duties.
- Maintain record of uniform allowances, including ordering and dispersing, for department personnel.
- Any additional task as requested to support the department such as performing secretarial tasks for the Parks Superintendent, Street Superintendent, Water Superintendent, and Fleet Manager.
- (Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned by supervisor will be performed in order to address unexpected situations or needs that may arise.)
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently and perform in a team environment on a daily basis. Employee may be responsible for handling petty cash.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in improved department efficiencies and customer satisfaction and reduced liability for the city.
Latitude: Most duties are assigned and then employee arranges tasks in order to complete duties. Most problem-solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Some decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently in accordance with city policy. All purchase requests should be approved by supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent face-to-face interaction with employees throughout the organization and general public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Associates Degree in related field, preferred.
- One to three years related office support experience, required.
- Knowledge of business correspondence, filing, typing, organizational skills, and clerical procedures.
- Ability to operate a multi-line telephone, radio equipment, and other office related machinery.
- Ability to access, input, process, and retrieve information from the computer.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Publisher.
- Ability to navigate the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to type 40 words per minute.
- Valid driver’s license and a good driving record, required.
Work Environment: Office environment. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 30 pounds. Occasional bending, squatting, and twisting. Frequent use of manual dexterity and visualization of a computer screen throughout the day. Occasional overtime required.