Senior GroundskeeperCity of Derby
75% Grounds & Landscape Maintenance
- Plant, mow, trim, rake, fertilize, and water the grass on public grounds.
- Remove, trim, and chip trees when needed.
- Maintain public grounds to keep areas in a clean and neat appearance.
- Participate in the construction of sidewalks on all public grounds.
- Operate motor vehicle and other equipment on a regular basis.
- Spray city property with proper chemicals to control weeds and insects when necessary.
- Assist in supervising subordinate staff as required.
- Plant and maintain trees, shrubs, and plants, including watering, pruning, and fertilizing.
- Provide input in the development and implementation of public ground improvements.
- Install, repair and maintain irrigation systems on city property.
- Clean and maintain streams, channels, and storm water systems within the city.
25% Maintaining Facilities and Equipment
- Maintain all department equipment in a good and working order.
- Troubleshoot problems with department equipment.
- Organize and maintain the division facilities in a clean and safe condition.
- Participate in building, repairing, and maintaining shelters and buildings on public grounds. This includes roofing, general construction, concrete work, and painting.
- Complete ballfield maintenance (baseball, softball, soccer).
- Prepare facilities and equipment for winter or adverse weather when needed.
- Provide instruction to new employees in the proper method of completing tasks.
- Inspect and repair park facilities as needed.
- Gather trash.
- Clean restrooms and park facilities.
- Install, inspect and maintain playground equipment.
- Build, repair, maintain, or other improvements to shelters, city parks, and other public grounds.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Problem solving requiring is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Some decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently based on city policy. All purchase requests must be approved by supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization and the general public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- One year related experience, required.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license, and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
- Valid Kansas commercial driver’s license, required within 90 days of employment.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) 100, 200 and 700 certification required within one year.
- Playground inspectors certificate, as required.
- Irrigation backflow certification, as required.
- Chemical applicator certification (3B), as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of related maintenance and repair.
- General knowledge of grounds maintenance, basic construction techniques, and basic mechanics.
- Ability to identify, transplant, and maintain various plants, flowers, shrubs, and trees.
- Ability to operate all division equipment.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Frequent exposure to adverse weather conditions, high noise levels, and hazardous situations. Frequent carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 50 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting. Must be available for on-call and overtime.