Vice President for University Advancement
Vice President for University Advancement
Colorado State University
Colorado State University (CSU) seeks an outstanding leader to serve as its next Vice President for University Advancement (VPUA). Reporting directly to the President, the VPUA serves as a key member of the presidential leadership team and is responsible for moving the University Advancement program forward to achieve CSU’s strategic priorities and institutional goals.
The Vice President for University Advancement will be a collaborative, transparent, strategic, and inclusive leader; an outstanding relationship builder; and a passionate advocate for CSU’s academic and land-grant missions. They will be enthusiastic about fundraising and alumni engagement and the opportunity to serve as a critical leader in helping to shape the future of CSU as it seeks to have greater regional, national, and global impact.
Founded in 1870, CSU is one of the nation’s top public research universities and an institution on the rise. In the last decade, CSU has experienced record enrollments, all-time highs in student diversity and student success; record fundraising far outpacing ambitious goals; groundbreaking research driven by a highly productive faculty; a campus revitalized by a transformational building campaign; and, perhaps most important, an unrivaled learning environment where nine of ten recent graduates say they would choose CSU again and rate their education as excellent.
Located in Fort Collins, Colorado and the Colorado State University System’s flagship institution, CSU is a doctoral-granting research university, and the state’s only land-grant institution, with a student body of more than 33,000, with one out of four students being first-generation scholars. CSU boasts top-ranked business, veterinary medicine, and journalism schools, along with a top-ranked occupational therapy program, as well as groundbreaking research in atmospheric sciences, infectious diseases, and clean energy technologies. In addition, the CSU Extension office services all 64 Colorado counties, offering community-oriented education, research, and 4-H programs.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s or terminal degree is preferred as is CFRE or other fundraising certification.
- Demonstrated success and progressively responsible experience (minimum 10 years) as a senior advancement professional in higher education, or relevant experience in a comparable environment.
- Demonstrated experience providing leadership and direction for a team, including mentoring employees, managing workflow, evaluating performance, and supporting professional development.
- A proven fundraising track record that includes multi-million-dollar solicitations and the orchestration of complex philanthropic gifts or comparable sales or other experience in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation, and management of a sophisticated advancement program (including prospect research and portfolio/moves management, annual giving, major and planned giving, corporate and foundation relations, endowment, alumni engagement, stewardship, advancement infrastructure and operations, and volunteer leadership) or relevant experience in developing and growing a resource-development program in relevant field.
- Proven leadership role in a successful billion-dollar plus campaign or comparable endeavor.
- Personal or professional commitment to diversity and inclusion demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity outcomes or demonstrated success in engaging historically under-engaged donors and communities.
Total annual compensation range: $350,000-$400,000. Full employee benefits package including shared contribution medical and dental insurance, defined contribution retirement plan, employer paid life and long-term disability insurance, voluntary insurance plans, and undergraduate tuition remission for dependents (after one year of service).
Preferred attributes and more information regarding University Advancement and CSU can be found in the leadership profile: https://www.agbsearch.com/searches/vice-president-for-university-advancement-colorado-state-university.
AGB Search is pleased to assist Colorado State University with this leadership search. To apply for the Vice President for University Advancement position, candidates are requested to submit the following: (i) a resume or curriculum vitae; (ii) a letter of interest that addresses the leadership opportunities in the profile; and (iii) contact information for four references (to be contacted with candidate’s permission at a later date). Application materials should be sent to ColoradoStateVPUA@agbsearch.com by June 10, 2022 for best consideration. The search will remain open until an appointment is made.
Nominations and expressions of interest in the Vice President for University Advancement position are encouraged. Please direct them to ColoradoStateVPUA@agbsearch.com or to the AGB search consultants listed below:
Kimberly Templeton, JD, Principal
Jim Lanier, M.S.Ed., Executive Search Consultant
Mark Jones, JD, Executive Search Consultant
Anne Hoffman, Executive Search Associate
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.