Head Coach - BowlingCowley County Community College
The Head Coach-Men's and Women's Bowling is responsible for initiating various aspects of the program, such as recruiting, planning, coaching, scheduling opponents, training team members, managing and directing the bowling program. The Head Coach--Men's and Women's Bowling is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Cowley College, Jayhawk Athletic Conference and the NJCAA.
- Manages and directs the bowling program.
- Coaches the bowling team.
- Manages all aspects of the team including strength and conditioning, practicing, competing and scheduling.
- Evaluates and recruits qualified student athletes.
- Manages a fiscally sound budget.
- Monitors class schedules, grades and student athlete academic progress.
- Responsible for marketing and promoting the bowling program.
- Assists the administration and Tiger Booster Club with alumni relations, community projects and fundraising.
- Commits to and is responsible for adhering to all rules and regulations set forth for the team, the College, the Jayhawk Athletic Conference and the NJCAA with the utmost integrity.
- Works cooperatively with personnel in the athletics department and College community, attends department meetings and activities, and always represents the College positively within interacting with the community, alumni, high school coaches, media and general public.
- Coordinate the development of schedules for bowling including arrangement for facilities, transportation, food, lodging, game officials, physical examinations, contracts with opponents and other related matters.
- Provide leadership in working with high schools and other agencies in the area to provide a base of support for those sports conducted by the College.
- Exhibit exemplary behavior in game conditions, demonstrating a winning attitude and a sensitivity of his/her influence on players and fans. Responsible for monitoring the conduct of athletes on campus and in the community.
- Assist in the transfer and placement of student athletes.
- Plan and Host 4 student life activities at the Mulvane Campus for the student body each semester (fall/spring)
- Coordinate student life activities with the Director of Intramurals and Director of Student Life
- Assist the Athletic Director by performing other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to recruit, coach and teach highly talented student athletes.
- Ability to understand and adhere to all policies, rules and regulations of the College, Jayhawk Athletic Conference and NJCAA.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to teamwork, process leadership and consensus decision making.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to integrate resources, policies and information for the determination of procedures, solutions and other outcomes.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of management methods and ability to provide administrative guidance within area of responsibility and provide direct training and supervision, as needed.
- Ability to apply budgeting and fiscal planning techniques within financial constraints.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting and participating in the overall athletic program, student activities and College events.
- Ability to hire and supervise qualified assistant coaches and student workers.
- Ability to observe and evaluate total program and make recommendations to the Athletic Director.
- Ability to teach sportsmanship and set an example of good moral and physical behavior.
- Ability to market and promote Cowley College Bowling.
- Ability to work and maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent human relations skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and diverse populations.
- Understanding of and commitment to AQIP.
Required Education Background:
- Bachelor’s Degree, required. Master’s Degree, preferred.
- CPR and First Aid Certification, preferred.
- Commercial Driver’s License, preferred.
- Collegiate bowling coaching experience.
- 3-5 years collegiate coaching experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success at the national level, preferred.
- A demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the community college mission and philosophy.
Supervisory Requirements: Work Study Students
Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time; ability to move freely around the campus and outreach centers; ability to lift or carry up to 50 pounds; ability to bend, stoop, reach and grasp as required to perform responsibilities; ability to drive motor vehicle.
Coaches are responsible for maintaining an environment free from discrimination, intimidation, coercion or harassment. Work is performed indoors and/or outdoors. The employee is required to travel.
Cowley County Community College and Area Vocational-Technical School is dedicated to providing equal opportunities to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, political affiliation or other legally protected category. (Notice of Non-Discrimination found at http://www.cowley.edu/about/legal.html)