Hospitality and Culinary Arts Instructor
The Hospitality/Culinary Arts (HCA) Department provides a positive learning environment of instruction and student assessment in both classroom and distance learning settings. Attendance at scheduled committee meetings, professional development trainings and CTSO meetings is required. In order to respond to the individual needs and abilities of students, and to prepare and support the student’s lifelong personal growth and economic development, the instructor must work closely with the staff and administration of the College.
Faculty Master Agreement
Division Chairperson, Vice President of Instructional Services, and President of Flint Hills Technical College
According to Master Agreement
- Associate's Degree or willingness to obtain an Associate’s Degree is required.
- Five years of recent paid employment in the field of instruction, two years of experience in teaching in the field of instruction, or any combination of the two.
- Experience in modern trends including gastronomy, large scale catering events, and baking.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer proficiency.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited college/university.
- Current involvement in related professional organization, such as American Culinary Federation or National Restaurant Association.
- Serv-Safe and Manage First Certifications
- Experience in online learning
- Knowledge of culinary competition, including SkillsUSA
- ACF Certifications of CCC or higher (CCE preferred) or willingness to obtain them
- Facilitate the personal, social, and intellectual development of students.
- Establish a positive learning environment and respond to the individual needs of students.
- Work effectively with community organizations.
- Operate all equipment as needed.
- Promote positive communications with students, staff, parents, and the business community.
- Display a thorough knowledge of the curriculum and its application in business/industry.
- Establish and maintain a positive climate for learning through appropriate classroom and laboratory management.
- Maintain current curriculum and instructional practices.
- Maintain appropriate, confidential records and provide timely reports.
- Order and maintain an adequate inventory of material and supplies.
- Obtain advance approval for all special activities and expenditures.
- Facilitate an active advisory committee to support the improvement of instruction.
- Supervise internships, cooperative, and/or clinical settings as needed.
- Instruct specific classes in the field of Business Administrative and computer applications.
- Instruct career development and professional skill courses.
- Project a positive and professional image.
- Keep abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
- Observe Board of Trustees policies and procedures.
- React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
- Support the value of an education through lifelong learning.
- Support the vision and mission of Flint Hills Technical College.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the college and community.
- Ensure all activities conform to state and local guidelines.
- Adhere to all district health and safety policies, including all precautions of the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan and the Sexual Harassment Policy.
- Other tasks as assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
- Requires occasional stooping, bending, and reaching.
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Requires some travel.