Victim Advocate Counselor II - 530950
Florida International University is a top public university that drives real talent and innovation in Miami and globally. Very high research (R1) activity and high social mobility come together at FIU to uplift and accelerate learner success in a global city by focusing in the areas of environment, health, innovation, and justice. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers. FIU serves a diverse student body of more than 56,000 and 290,000 Panther alumni. U.S. News and World Report places dozens of FIU programs among the best in the nation, including international business at No. 2. Washington Monthly Magazine ranks FIU among the top 20 public universities contributing to the public good.
Victim Advocate Counselor II – 530950
Provides direct counseling, advocacy and case management services to FIU student victims of violence. Participates in a rotation to provide crisis intervention services as needed including evenings and weekends, remotely or in-person. Accompanies students to court or other formal proceedings, rape treatment services, and other related appointments if desired by student. Participates in University outreach and prevention programming and maintains relevant community linkages.
- Provides confidential direct services related to victimization (especially sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking, hazing and hate crimes), including crisis intervention, counseling, advocacy, case management, accessing university and community resources.
- Provides walk-in emergency assessments, crisis intervention, and intakes for students. Provides consultations to family members and campus community constituents.
- Completes intake summaries, psychological assessments, emergency evaluations, progress notes, and termination summaries according to the established policies and procedures.
- Participates in after hours rotation and provides crisis intervention to the FIU community including daytime and evening/weekend as needed.
- Provides counseling and social services to individuals and groups. Focuses on trauma informed clinical services to include a wide range of personal concerns related to victimization, interpersonal conflicts, students' goals, needs, values, attitudes, educational or career choices within a multicultural/diverse university environment. Meets the immediate and long-term service needs of the individuals.
- Accompanies and transports students to hearings and appointments related to victimization and student retention, including rape treatment services, domestic violence court, Title IX proceeding and other relevant meetings and locales.
- Provides advocacy and case management coordination and support in collaboration with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff psychologists, counselors, and university health services, FIU PD Residential Life, and colleges and other campus units and community providers.
- Participates in CAPS and Student Health and Wellness committees, especially those concerning interpersonal violence.
- Provides direct psychological services to University students including individual and group counseling; conducts clinical assessments and formulates diagnoses and treatment plans.
- Performs other related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Master's degree in Social Work or related mental health provider discipline and two (2) years of experience in serving victims of trauma, sexual assault, and/or relationship violence.
- Mental Health License - Florida
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Advocacy and case management experience.
Job Category: Administrative
Advertised Salary: $60,000-$65,000
Begin time: 8:30AM
End time: 5:00PM
- Operating University Vehicles (all types)
- Criminal Background Check
- Driver's License Check
- Fingerprinting Check
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Ability to work occasional evenings, weekends and at locations outside of the University
For further information or to apply, please visit careers.fiu.edu and reference Job Opening ID # 530950
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.