The George Mason University, Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning, invites highly qualified candidates to apply for the position of Programmer Analyst. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning (OIEP) is seeking a Programmer Analyst to support both business intelligence and analytical applications for decision making in institutional effectiveness and planning.
The position provides technical expertise for the development, maintenance, accuracy, integrity, and documentation of OIEP data sources and support for web-based data reporting applications including the OIEP website. This work is essential to support the development of dashboards and data visualizations which provide critical access and easy-to-use tools for university leaders and campus end-users to use OIEP data in their decision-making.
The Programmer Analyst will report to OIEP’s Director of Business Analytics. The incumbent will work in the office on the Fairfax Campus with potential for up to two days of telework per week.
- Develop code to support web-based applications;
- Provide website support and maintenance as needed;
- Update web reports with current data, ensuring data integrity and accuracy;
- Develop SQL and PL/SQL code to create Oracle data tables used in web reporting;
- Develop SQL and PL/SQL code to extract and combine data from multiple data sources to create databases for analyses and other uses;
- Routinely document technical procedures and processes;
- Research, share, and support methods to display data visually for use by campus; and
- Support OIEP team in SQL code development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Related professional experience (generally two or more years);
- Working knowledge of developing code to extract and merge data from multiple platforms or analyzing data for web applications;
- Working knowledge of web development tools;
- Experience using SQL to create and extract data;
- Demonstrated ability to apply analytical/critical thinking skills for data validation tasks;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with various technical and non-technical audiences, including information technology groups;
- Demonstrated experience understanding end-users’ data and analytic needs; and
- Ability to initiate and complete projects under general supervision.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related discipline;
- SAS and/or database certification;
- Experience with web development;
- Experience with data visualization;
- Knowledge of RDBMS;
- Knowledge of basic statistics, and/or SAS; and
- Experience in higher education.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01284z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.