Financial Aid AdvisorHutchinson Community College
Perform a variety of responsibilities during the evaluation and analysis of student needs and eligibility for Title IV Federal Aid, State of Kansas, and Institutional Financial Aid. Responsibilities will include reviewing student and family financial aid and determining the type and amount of financial aid assistance to be awarded while coordinating assigned financial aid programs. The employee in this position must be a dynamic, student-oriented, self-starting critical thinker with a genuine interest for promoting student success.
Essential Functions -
- Promote a student-oriented financial aid office with the highest regard for student service and student success.
- Perform various need analysis functions using financial information submitted by applicants utilizing established federal, state and Community College standards and guideline to determine financial need; select candidates and determine type and amount of financial aid to be awarded.
- Assist with monitoring all federal, state, and College compliance and regulatory issues.
- Meet with current and prospective students to assist them with understanding the financial aid process and determine his or her potential financial aid eligibility.
- Financial aid awarding and program responsibilities will be assigned as the selected candidate is trained and becomes familiar with Hutchinson Community College's financial aid programs.
- Assist with the development, preparation and coordination of the College's need analysis verification and review policy and procedures.
- Prepare detailed reports and compile information concerning undergraduate financial aid and assigned programs as requested by the US Department of Education and HutchCC officials.
- Answer inquiries from various sources of federal, state, and College financial aid policies and procedures.
- Performs financial aid verifications.
- Supervision (functional) may be exercised over student assistants.
- Arrive on time for work, attend work regularly, and successfully perform your job responsibilities.
- Serve actively on campus committees.
- Comply with HutchCC policies, procedures, and practices.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid.
- Bachelor's Degree in student affairs or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- Experience using complex databases with the ability to define specifications for database programming.
- Skill and experience in project management and organizational effectiveness while maintaining strict attention to detail.
- Experience using advanced features of Microsoft Office including Excel.
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving skills; demonstrated ability to take the initiative to solve problems.
- Quantitative analysis and resource management skills; judgement and decision-making ability.
- Proven ability to create and maintain positive working relationships while demonstrating a caring and proactive attitude working with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
- Proven positive attitude with excellent communication, customer interaction, and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to ensure positive financial aid communications with a culturally diverse student body.
- Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with highly confidential information.
- Experience working in a College or within a College financial aid office.
- Public administration, accounting, banking, finance, or other business experience.
- Commitment to professional growth within Student Affairs and Financial Aid.
- Demonstrated ability to independently organize, prioritize, and complete multiple work assignments in a complex work environment.
- The ability to collect, analyze, interpret, and report data in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to explain and convey complex information.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new computer skills.
- Physical requirements include the ability to sit in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time; the ability to perform hand motions for keyboarding, operating office equipment, answering telephones, and other office equipment; Excellent verbal, written and listening skills; Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer, and to operate additional office equipment; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; to use appropriate judgment and to apply tact and courtesy in difficult situations; The ability to understand words and respond effectively and appropriately; Attentive to detail, accurately follow written and verbal instructions, work independently, Sedentary/Indoor work environment with a substantial amount of keyboarding required –
- Mental requirements include the ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions about the position.
Physical and mental qualifications must be performed with or without a reasonable accommodation. The qualifications listed are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties. - The qualifications listed are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.
HOURLY WAGE and STATUS:
The hourly rate of pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience as determined by HutchCC administration. This support staff position is full-time, 12 months, benefit eligible, and non-exempt.