Financial Aid VA Certifying OfficialHutchinson Community College
The VA School Certifying Official is responsible for maintaining the VA certifications for the Hutchinson Community College main campus and Ft. Riley site. The Certifying Official will ensure all VA benefits are processed within VA policy guidelines and institutional procedures. The position requires a high level of ethics in the counseling of students.
- Administer the US Department of Veterans Affairs(VA) Educational Benefits at Hutchinson Community College.
- Provide academic and financial advising services to veteran students
- Keep VA informed of the enrollment status of veterans and other eligible persons.
- Keep SAA informed as instructed.
- Apprise supervisors of any internal problems which may affect service to VA students.
- Keep up to date on current VA rules and benefits.
- Assist VA students in applying for benefits.
- Maintain records of VA students (38 CFR 21.4253 or 21.4254) and make records requested by VA/SAA available for inspection (38 CFR 21.4209).
- Responsible for assisting new and continuing students throughout their enrollment, including reporting relevant student record data to VA for processing of Veteran education funding.
- Certify Veteran student benefits while maintaining knowledge of benefit eligibility requirements.
- Serve as primary point of contact for questions pertaining to Veteran Education benefits, from students and VA representatives.
- Adjust, amend and terminate VA certifications accordingly to reflect current student courses.
- Reconcile ledger cards with VA benefits and multiple funding sources.
- Comply with all Federal, State, accreditation and institutional policies and procedures.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Prepare operational tracking reports as requested by management.
- Assist with file reviews, audits and other regulatory requirements as needed.
- Collect necessary documentation for completion of files.
- Update all necessary systems with pertinent student information.
- Verify enrollment to be certified with VA complies with Degree Plan Requirements.
- Implement retention procedures including a variety of intervention activities.
- Utilize multiple delivery systems including on-line advising and telephone advising.
- Maintain resource materials related to advising.
- Communicate with representatives from other colleges regarding transfer issues.
- In cooperation with counseling staff, develop and coordinate career advising, orientation, and other appropriate activities.
- Arrive on time for work, attend work regularly, and successfully complete the responsibilities of the position.
- Comply with HutchCC policies, procedures, and practices.
- Serve actively on campus committees.
- 2 Year / Associate Degree
- 1 year of VA Certifying experience.
- 1 year or customer service experience
- Computer literacy, including spreadsheets, word processing, and presentation software, is preferred.
- Physical requirements: Excellent verbal, written and listening skills; Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer, and to operate additional office equipment; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; to use appropriate judgment and to apply tact and courtesy in difficult situations; The ability to understand words and respond effectively and appropriately; Attentive to detail, accurately follow written and verbal instructions, work independently, Sedentary/Indoor work environment-
- Mental requirements include the ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions about the position.
- Physical and mental qualifications must be performed with or without a reasonable accommodation. - The qualifications listed are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.
- Academic advising or related experience preferred.