Scrub TechnicianKansas Heart Hospital
Will work 4 x 10 hour shifts per week along with call.
Job Function: The Surgical Scrub Technician, under the guidance of the Registered Nurse, is responsible for the care and safety of the patients who come under his or her care. Responsible for providing assistance to the Operating Room staff by scrubbing for surgical procedures, in accordance to the established policies and procedures for the hospital. The responsibility includes the preparation, assembly and organization of the environment, equipment and supplies necessary to perform the surgical intervention. Included within this assignment is the responsibility for ensuring effective communication between him or herself, the charge nurse, the patient, other staff, physicians, and other hospital departments.
- Education: Formal training as an O.R. Technician or OJT with a minimum of one year experience. Preferably certified as a surgical technologist or licensed as a practical nurse with the Kansas Board of Nursing.
- Certification in CPR.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of the nursing process.
- Demonstrates ability to provide quality patient care.
- Communicates and works effectively with people.
- Must be in good physical condition to meet the demands of an active position including extensive walking, standing, and lifting.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complies with hospital protocol and manufacturers guidelines for use, processing and maintenance of supplies and equipment.
- Appropriately checks equipment for safe working order and effective cleaning prior to use.
- Removes defective instruments and equipment from service and documents specific nature of the problem.
- Sets up sterile table with instruments, sutures, blades, electrosurgical equipment, suction, and solutions needed for each procedure according to the hospital standards.
- Scrubs, gowns, and gloves according to the established hospital policy.
- Counts, sponges, needles, and instruments with the circulating nurse according to the hospital policy.
- Gowns and gloves O.R. team members and drapes field.
- Assists with proper positioning of patients by protecting nerve and bony prominences, maintains body alignment to ensure vascular flow and unencumbered respiratory ventilation and maintains patient’s privacy.
- Appropriately prepares surgical incision and applies post-op dressing per surgeon preference.
- Assists with transport of patients.
- Effectively assists in keeping surgeon’s preference sheet current by reporting needed changes to circulating nurse and checks at end of case to assure that updating is complete.
- Properly prepares instruments for return to processing department for decontamination and sterilization.
- Effectively participates as operating room member to complete room turnover.
- Effectively applies basic knowledge of all solutions and medications for use during surgical procedure in accordance with O.R. standards. Certified Scrub technicians and L.P.N.s, when functioning as a second circulator under direct R.N. supervision may mix medications for use on the back table.
- Routinely uses dexterity and economy of motion in passing surgical instruments and always provides safety for both patient and other personnel when handling sharps.
- Consistently maintains a neat and orderly sterile field.
- Effectively discusses the sequence of specific surgical procedures with the operating room team using appropriate medical terminology.
- Performs closures of subq and skin as necessary under surgeons direction.
- Effectively differentiates between contaminated, clean and sterile areas as well as restricted and unrestricted areas.
- Routinely identifies breaks in aseptic technique, takes corrective action and reports same to the circulating nurse.
- Adheres to the hospital’s safety guidelines and manufacturers standards for use of electrosurgical units.
- Effectively assists surgeons under their direction including proper suturing of subcanteous and skin layer of surgical incisions.
- Immediately reports any unusual occurrences to charge personnel, documents appropriately, and completes Hospital Incident Report form if indicated.
- Assists in control of traffic and personnel to ensure proper control of infection and asepsis.
- Assists in operating room staff development and education
- Assists in orientation of new personnel
- Avails his or herself in the ongoing education process of the hospital.
- On-call for emergencies and available for additional duty.
- Accountability and Adaptability
- Assumes accountability and responsibility for his or her own work performance.
- Observes assigned working schedules and hours.
- Performs competently in new situations.
- Performs competently in emergencies.
- Adheres to operating room dress code; neat personal appearance.
- Personal Relationships
- Maintains good rapport with fellow employees
- Maintains good rapport with physicians
- Performs his or her duties in a professional and pleasant manner.