Environmental Compliance and Regulatory SpecialistKDHE
This position would be responsible for performing inspections and evaluation of permitted solid waste facilities, hazardous waste generators, and hazardous waste TSD facilities to determine compliance with federal and state environmental statutes and regulations. Compiles inspection and technical data to prepare reports and correspondence. Submit inspection reports through the supervisor within 30 calendar days of initial inspection. Provide facility with inspection results upon completion of inspection or in writing within 7 calendar days. Where appropriate, telephonic notification of inspection results may be used. Follow-up: Reviews corrective action plans and evaluates facility actions to return to compliance. Track compliance efforts by facilities and follow-up corrective actions within 10 calendar days of compliance deadlines. When facilities fail to come into compliance after deadline, refer to the District Environmental Administrator (DEA) for consideration. Waste Inspector Training: Completes BWM training requirements for solid and hazardous waste. Obtain OSHA 40-hour training and remain certified with annual refresher training for hazardous site work.
Two years of experience in an environmental field and/or program. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Within first six months of employment, incumbent is required to pass a comprehensive baseline physical that demonstrates the ability to utilize personal protective equipment. The physical will be scheduled by KDHE during the first weeks of employment. Thereafter, the incumbent is required to pass an annual physical that demonstrates the ability to use personal protective equipment.
Valid Driver's License - Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver's license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental, Agricultural, Natural Resources, Biological or Physical Sciences
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in preparing and writing inspection reports and/or technical correspondence
- Technical work experience in a Waste Management or Environmental Field
- Inspection experience in a Regulatory Program
- Current 40 Hour HAZWOPER training preferred
- Course work in physical and/or biological sciences or engineering
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with others
$20.13 hourly; can vary depending upon experience and qualifications.