Academic CoordinatorWichita Area Technical College (WATC)
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required by the position. Duties will be modified as needed; work assignments and schedule are based on the needs of the college.
The Academic Coordinator oversees support services for the General Education programs, and provides high-level administrative support to the Dean. This position requires the ability to work independently with little or no supervision and to use discretion and independent judgment in making decisions affecting faculty, staff, and students. This person must be exceedingly well organized and enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting the General Education, Interior Design, Police Science, and Business programs. Many duties are of a confidential nature.
Salary: $20.00 Hourly
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support to the Dean of General Education and Vice President, General Education & Health Sciences.
- Provide administrative support to General Education faculty/adjunct faculty, coordinators and lead instructors, including performing instructor workstation training and distribution of keys.
- Perform general clerical duties to include, but not limited to answering telephones, bookkeeping, copying, faxing, mailing and filing.
- Open, sort and distribute incoming correspondence (mail), including faxes and email and prepare responses as needed for Southside campus.
- Maintain office calendar to coordinate work flow and meetings.
- Set up and coordinate meetings and conferences for faculty, adjunct faculty in-service training, Industry Advocate Team meetings, and department meetings: providing agenda, transcription of meeting and distribute minutes as requested.
- Develop, implement, create, manage, review and summarize miscellaneous reports and documents, memos, letters using word processing, spreadsheet, database and/or other presentation software such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, SharePoint and Outlook.
- Maintain data on WATC Intranet site for Academic Affairs under General Education, Business, Interior Design, and Police Science.
- Maintain adjunct faculty database.
- Liaison between the Marketing division and Academics for monitoring and maintaining the WATC website (Academic programs and General Education courses).
- Manage all VISA expenses for travel for General Education, Business, Interior Design, and Police Science programs.
- Manage all purchasing documents and the process for all supplies for the General Education, Business, Interior Design, and Police Science programs, including processing invoices for payment.
- Assist with overall maintenance of the organization, its offices, classrooms and labs including repair and maintenance of equipment, as direct liaison between faculty/adjunct faculty and Facilities/IT departments.
- Create and submit all Adjunct Faculty Load and Compensation payments (FLAC payroll agreements for designated programs and maintain related records.
- Share responsibility for 24-hour class cancellation call-in line for general education courses.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of General Education, Vice President of General Education & Health Sciences, or President.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed:
- Minimum of five years of administrative experience required, preferably in higher education.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Bookkeeping, accounting experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, decision making, and problem solving ability.
- Ability to operate various office equipment, including but not limited to computers, telephone systems, calculators, copiers and facsimile machines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with strong organization skills.
- Advanced skills in computer applications, including Outlook, Word & Excel.
Other Position Requirements:
- Work effectively and productively as a team member. Keep others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintain effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Use diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrate effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintain acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensure appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produce quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identify what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Complete assigned work; meet deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Perform work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Participate in a minimum of 20 hours professional development activities per year to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services some of which may be out of the area. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student or College needs, deadlines and delivery of services. Long periods of sitting and/or standing will be required. Extensive data entry/typing. Sufficient vision and hearing are required to complete the work and interact with students, staff, faculty and the public. Independent travel by car or public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses/locations when needed. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedule will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties.