Part Time OASIS Tutor (Math Focus)Wichita Area Technical College (WATC)
Employer:Wichita Area Technical College
Job Title:Part Time OASIS Tutor (Math Focus)
Seeking Tutors with Math Skill Set -
The OASIS Tutor provides academic support to students through content and skills tutoring and individualized mentoring services. This position requires flexibility to work varying hours and mobility to move between campuses for daily assignments each week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides tutoring assistance to all students to improve their academic performance through collaborative learning and skills resources in one of the college’s core subject areas.
- Provides intrusive mentoring services tailored for the individual student through face-to face and virtual presentation.
- Provides assistance in basic Microsoft applications, presentation creation software, Blackboard navigation and tools.
- Maintains effective communication and work collaboratively with faculty and staff in all departments of the College to improve opportunities for student success.
- Maintains documentation of tutoring and mentoring services provided to all students.
- Works in other areas within OASIS as needed to provide excellent customer service to students utilizing OASIS.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed
- Bachelor’s degree in a subject area present at the college, required. Exception may be made for applicant actively enrolled in a degree program working on obtaining degree in subject area present at college. For Career & Technical Education (CTE) programs, established work experience in industry will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Employee will be required to meet, within 1 year or employment, and maintain the OASIS tutor certification guidelines.
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience with post-secondary students and/or adult learners, preferred.
- Willingness to continually work on expanding personal skill set(s) to adapt to the changing needs of the division and student, required.
- Proficient use and knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel are required. Knowledge of SharePoint and Blackboard, preferred.
- Professional-level communication skills: including excellent written and oral communication, excellent interpersonal, and the ability to communicate effectively with others to arrive at solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced, ever changing environment.
- Flexibility to work at all WATC campuses, required.
Other Position Requirements:
- Work effectively and productively as a team member. Keep others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintain effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Use diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrate effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintain acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensure appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produce quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identify what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Complete assigned work; meet deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Perform work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Participate in at least 20 hours of professional development activities to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
- The OASIS is a customer focused service center. Employee schedules are adapted on a student and college needs basis.
- Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services some of which may be out of the area. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student needs, deadlines and delivery of services. Long periods of sitting or standing will be required. Sufficient vision and hearing are required to complete the work and interact with students, staff, faculty and the public. Independent travel to by car and public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses when needed. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedule will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties.