CustodiansDerby Public Schools
Provide students and staff with a safe, attractive and clean place in which to learn and work.
1. Demonstrate aptitude or competence for executing the duties and responsibilities outlined in this job description.
2. High school diploma or equivalent is preferred.
3. Valid Kansas driver’s license.
1. Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
a. Keep buildings and premises neat and clean.
b. Monitor building temperature to provide temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical usage.
c. Clear snow from walkways and steps during inclement weather.
d. Clean classrooms, dust furniture, sweep, mop, and vacuum corridors.
e. Clean and disinfect restrooms and drinking fountains.
f. Comply with all district policies, rules and regulations.
2. Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
a. Requires stand and walk on level surfaces, as well as climb up and down stairs.
b. Requires the ability to manually move, lift, carry, push or pull heavy objects or materials.
c. Requires the ability to stoop, bend and reach.
d. Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments.
e. Must be able to work in and around chemical odors.
f. Must be able to maintain appropriate levels of personal hygiene and sanitation.
g. Must be able to follow district guideline regarding dress code.
h. Must be able to work with cleaning chemicals, solvents and disinfectants.
i. Requires the full range of motion with neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, back, torso, knees and ankles.
j. Must be able to lift 25 pounds repeatedly.
k. Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job.
1. Maintain the cleanliness of building and premises.
2. Make sure the building is secure after hours.
3. Report maintenance concerns to the appropriate supervisor.
4. Maintain proper sanitary and practices.
5. Report any unsafe practices to the appropriate supervisor.
6. Move furniture or equipment within the building premises as required for various activities and as directed by the custodial supervisor or head custodian.
7. Perform yard-keeping chores such as grass cutting, trimming shrubs, and maintaining the school grounds in a safe and attractive condition.
8. Keep floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
9. Clean whiteboards, perform minor building repairs, report needed maintenance repairs to head custodian.
10. Remain on school premises during duty hours and during non-school hours when the use of the building has been authorized and the custodial supervisor requires his/her attendance.
11. Assume responsibility for opening and closing the building each school day and for determining that all doors and windows are locked and lights (other than for security) are turned off.
12. Keep enough chemicals and supplies on hand to perform daily duties.
13. Conduct an ongoing program of general maintenance.
14. Adhere to all district health and safety policies.
15. Other duties assigned by the maintenance and custodial supervisor and/or administration, which are consistent with the general requirements of the position.